Key 2018 Projects
The development and introduction of new technologies and equipment in 2018 facilitated achievement of the Company’s strategic performance indicators.
The following equipment was put into commercial operation within the Development of a Complex of High-Precision In-Line Inspection Tools for Ensuring Reliability of Trunk Pipeline Facilities project:
- Examination set for detection of peeling of pipeline insulation coating using electromagnetic acoustics
- Combined inspection tool
- Three ultrasonic inspection tools for various pipeline diameters, from 500 to 1,200 mm
- Magnetic inspection tool
- Three multichannel geometry tools with a navigation system for various pipeline diameters, from 1,000 to 1,200 mm.
The purpose of the project is to create innovative, future-oriented in-line inspection equipment and to upgrade the existing equipment. The project is being implemented by Transneft Diascan, one of the global leaders in the field of pipeline inspection services. The examination sets provide for similar accuracy and resolution as their foreign-made analogues, and even surpass some of them (as proven by an independent technological audit). The work is aimed at improving safety of operation of oil pipelines and petroleum products pipelines.
In 2018, applied R&D topics focused on reliable, safe and efficient operation of oil and petroleum products trunk pipeline facilities, substitution of imported equipment and technology in the field of pipeline transportation, as well as improvement and optimisation of production processes, were addressed as part of implementation of the Master Plan for R&D, design and experimental and engineering work at Transneft and its subsidiaries. They include the following major developments:
- Modular boiler house with a capacity of 1-5 MW. A standardsized series of liquid and gaseous fuel boiler houses was developed, featuring a capacity from 1 to 6 MW, an automation system and control from a remote automated workstation. Boilers with external economisers allowing for higher efficiency and cost-effective heat generation were developed to be parts of the modular boiler houses.
- Thermohydraulic test bench to explore transportation of heavy and bituminous oils. The test bench enables forecasting of the paraffin deposition process on pipeline walls, studying of the efficiency of diluents and paraffin deposition inhibitors used, simulation of oil heating and cooling processes occurring in the pipeline, and other research in furtherance of development of measures to improve the energy efficiency of heavy oil transportation.
- Sealing chamber with a landing frame allows for repair of sections of oil and petroleum products trunk pipelines with a 200-500 mm diameter by cutting out the spool in the channel part of the trunk pipeline’s crossings of water barriers at depths down to 15 m.
The design provides for systems and equipment ensuring that the work is performed in a safe manner, such as:
- System for emergency evacuation of personnel from the chamber’s body
- Supply-exhaust ventilation system, with heated air supplied to the chamber’s body, a variable frequency drive and microprocessor control
- Continuous gas content monitoring system
- Tilt control system for the chamber’s body and the shaft
- System for pumping out water
- System for pumping out leaks
- Lighting system
- Two-way communication system
- Video surveillance and video recording system
- Anchoring system
- Pulling tension control system
- Hydraulic system
- Emergency firefighting equipment